Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Letter

I am composing what is best described as a "coming out" letter. In my stubbornness, I refuse to call it that; I am not fond of the term, for reasons I will explain at some point. The letter is not something I will eventually mail or e-mail. Initiating this discussion with a written communication is a bit disconnected and passive for my taste (although I am sure it is the right starting point for many). The reasoning behind writing it is that I want to enter into this discussion prepared; it will be such an important interaction that I want to create a framework for my thoughts, and ensure that I address everything I want to address. It remains to be seen whether I will be ready to act on the letter after it is finished.

If anyone has thoughts on what to include or omit, I would love to hear them. I will post the letter here eventually.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I am not going to change. I have not become gay overnight but always have been; the only thing is that you didn't know it yet."

When I came out to my parents, I never realized that they'd have the fear that I would suddenly change from an straight-acting guy into a drag queen basically. They thought that my coming out was the beginning of a metamorphosis. They didn't realize that the only thing that had really changed was their awareness of my being gay. I had always been who I was.
To be honest I did change a bit after my coming out: I started smiling more often. :)

Adam said...

I can't convey what it feels like to be out because I am not, so all I can say is to begin to be honest with yourself and allow as many of your thoughts to see the light of day as possible. Be open, and allow yourself to be unencumbered. It is a process, as I am experiencing, and as Jackdaw cites and as I have begun to experience, you will smile and laugh A LOT more.