Saturday, June 7, 2008

For The Bible Tells Me So

One of the issues I will need to address when I come out to my family is the condemnation of homosexuality by most Christian denominations. My family attends a non-denominational church that promotes the problematic modern doctrine of biblical literalism (of select passages, of course). They are pretty independent thinkers, but I anticipate that they will have difficulty breaking out of their traditional framework on the subject. Without getting into my personal religious views (another possible post or dozen), I do not believe that true Christianity is anti-homosexual.



I recently watched the documentary For The Bible Tells Me So. In fact, I made the mistake of starting the film while having a 'midnight snack', and I ended up watching the entire thing. I was a bit bleary-eyed at work the following morning, but it was worth it. The film examines arguments that the Bible condemns homosexuality, and presents the case that they either: 1. misinterpret the context of the passage, 2. mistranslate words in the passage, 3. refer to something other than consensual adult same sex relations. The film is a user-friendly overview of the subject and I highly recommend it. The Would Jesus Discriminate? website is another excellent resource on the subject.



** On a side note, I will not have Internet access over the next several days as I transition to a new place. See you all soon.

No comments: